Sorry (again) that I have been missing lately - we just moved! Y'all... moving with two little ones is sooooo not fun.
But the good news is that for the next 3 months I will be living with the Coupon Queen (aka my mom) who faithfully checks the paper for deals and coupons on our favorite products.
So this week, the best thing going is that CVS has a sale on Clairol Natural Instincts hair color for $5.99 - which is a great price. AND there was a coupon in the paper for $4 off one box of Natural Instincts - that is a price of $1.99.
If you still have your hands on the coupon flyer from the weekend paper - go dig out this coupon!
I have cleaned out the two CVS' near me in my fave color - Spiced Cider (Light Warm Brown)!
A word about Natural Instincts... I LOVE this product. I does not contain ammonia - which means it is very gentle, washes out in about 6-8 weeks, and you can use it all over your hair every time - you do not have to focus on roots like you do with permanent hair dye.
My words of advice when using this product:
- It will only cover moderate grays (Grays! What grays??)
- If you pick a color much darker than your natural shade, it will last longer than 6-8 weeks (because basically this hair dye is a 'stain', not a true dye)
- Since it has no ammonia (which is why it is so gentle and wash-out) it cannot lighten your hair.
Now my words of advice on the color tricks that the hair-dye industry try to use!! Here is the "Color Code":
- Always go one shade lighter than you think you need. For instance, I would say that my hair is 'medium brown' - however if I use a hair dye labeled medium brown, my hair will look goth. I use one labeled 'light brown'. Make sense?
- If the description says 'warm' this really means a bit auburn.
- If the description says 'auburn' it will be weird-girl red (ala Claire Danes in My So Called Life)
- If the description says 'red' do not go anywhere near it.
- Do not believe people who say you will look good with reddish hair - many people do NOT. You know who you are. Some people just really look fabulous with ash brown!!!
Hope this all makes sense. My natural hair color is medium brown with a hint of red. I have a few pesky grays around my face, and this product does the trick. I use Spiced Cider (Light Warm Brown) every 6 weeks and I could not be happier with the result.
OK.... just a couple more instructions...
- Apply at the roots first and then apply the rest of the dye to the ends of your hair (ends are usually drier and will soak up more dye)
- When you are done use a damp paper towel to clean up your forehead, ears, neck, etc
- Carefully check the counter/tile beneath you - little tiny drips are easily cleaned up initially but can stain if left behind!
You can do it!!! At a GREAT price! Use the savings to buy new shoes for fall :) Feel free to post any questions. I have years of experience with this product and could answer pretty much any question.